Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cacao Drink Chocolate



MMMMMMMMMM Chocolate...If you are like me, and love chocolate, AND happen to be in the Portland area, I highly suggest checking out Cacao Drink Chocolate on SW 13th Ave. I had first learned of this decadently sinful chocolate shop my my girlfriend Jen; I remember thinking, "A cocoa shop?! When can we go?!" Sadly months and months ago we never found the time, however, after I started school I mentioned it to my classmate and she was all for trying it out! So we set up a day to go so that we could "study" and try out the different types of "cocoa".


When we drove down to 13th, I noticed that parking was a little rough, there are only so many paid parking stalls in front. I would suggest heading there on a Sunday when parking is free and you can spend more time enjoying the atmosphere rather than worrying about your meter running. As we went inside I noticed that the store was small, comfortable, and painted in rich brown tones, no doubt to reflect upon the sweet treats that in store for its patrons. There are small tables, as a coffee shop would have and also a very large French farm style table to sprawl out and study or for large groups, small boxes and bags filled with gems of chocolate lined a corner of the store and in the opposite corner the "chocolate counter" where they serve all their warm cups. I quickly B-lined my way to the counter to examine their menu of chocolate drinks. As I read down the line of the three different types of drinking chocolates I opted to get the "Flight of Chocolate", a sampler tray of all three drinking chocolates, what can I say, I just love chocolate! 

After receiving our trays, one for each of us, we found a table and sat down to examine the cups of warm "cocoa". There was the cinnamon infused drinking chocolate, the Rivoli dark drinking chocolate, and the special spicy dark drinking chocolate. I started with the cinnamon infused (which was made up of 49% Venezuelan milk and 65% Venezuelan dark chocolates) and worked my way down. I immediately learned that this was no ordinary "cocoa", this was real melted chocolate, thick and creamy, and lusciously rich. It warmed my mouth and coated it with a layer of rich sweet flavor followed by a slight punch of spicy cinnamon. After drinking all that sweet nectar up I moved on to the Rivoli (72% Arriba dark chocolate) equally as satisfying, not as sweet, instead a slight bitter flavor associated with most dark chocolates. FINALLY the special dark (72% Arriba , infused with cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and ginger) the same rich flavor as the dark, but the different traces of all the spices seemed to dance on my tongue. This was by far my favorite of the three, I sipped it in blissful happiness as my friend and I discussed the flavors and looked out onto the windy streets of Portland, which didn't seem matter as we sat in the indulgence of those warm chocolate cups.

All you out there in blogger land should make a point of trying these wonderful cups of chocolate, perfect for the winter that is fast approaching, I promise you won't regret it! 

2 comments:

sixth floor apartment said...

omg. and i was just thinking about hot chocolate last night! that looks amazing!!!

ISOcampus.com ISO 22000 said...

Those looks really yummy and delicious! I really want to have some of that right now.