Thursday, December 8, 2011

Salted Caramel Corn & Other News



Hello all!! MY OH MY has it been a busy week for me!! With school, staging (volunteering in a food service establishment), and starting a new job I have been pooped!! A LOT GOING ON RIGHT?! I'm actually surprised I'm awake writing this! I just finished my book report, and I'm about to head to bed, but I wanted to catch up with everyone and also give you a mouth watering recipe to try at home!

First off, school has been great, yesterday we learned how to make lobster bisque!! I did, in fact kill my first lobster, I know a bit sad, but it may be something I have to do one day in the future, and I figured its better to learn now than to be caught off guard while working in a restaurant or other! A classmate of mine took a video and I'll try to post it when he send it on over. Other than that I have been staging for Mezzaluna Fine Catering, a wonderful catering company started by the talented and hilarious Chef John. I'm looking forward to many more long days and funny jokes with that guy!! He is currently trying to teach me how to make a croquembouche, a tower of cream puffs, and I am loving every minute! I have also started working at a pie shop!! YAY PIE!! And things there are so far so good!! 

Well, now that we are all caught up, I wanted to talk to you about caramel popcorn, my recent addiction!! I found this recipe online and I am seriously in love with this stuff (I've made it three times!!). I changed the recipe up a bit to make more of a salted caramel flavor and played with the length of heating to give it a smooth clean coating. Its crunchy, and salty, with an aftertaste of sweet, mix in the bites of peanuts and you are set to go!! I highly suggest trying this out at home! 

*Salted* Caramel Corn (Adapted from allrecipes.com)

1/2 cup butter
 1 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
 heaping 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 cups popped popcorn
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts (optional) 

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn and peanuts (if using) in a silpat lined cookie sheet.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. While letting boil, place popcorn mixture in oven for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Remove popcorn from oven. Pour caramel mixture in a thin stream over popcorn, gently mixing to coat.
  3. Place in oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for about 30-45 minute. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces and devouring!!


Oh, and if you are feeling REALLY adventurous add some melted chocolate, it's so GOOD, you won't regret it!! Well happy baking people, and more posts to come!!

No comments: