Tuesday, September 28, 2010

pine state buscuits



the japan trip column is currently a work in progress, i am trying to constantly work on it. it is taking a lot more time than i thought it would because i have to recall all the things i ate, the little stories behind each, and try to recollect the tastes and thoughts i had about those particular foods. i have a mildly bad memory and i tend to be one of those people who needs a reminder so it will take me a little while:-p IN THE MEAN TIME...i thought i would write about this place. PINE STATE BISCUITS. so jen, the wonderful girl that she is, took us here when russ was in town, but i didn't bring my camera, i know major fail on my part! but luckily i got to go back today and this place was just as great as i remember. obviously from the name its a biscuit place, but my oh my is it so much more than that!! this place serves biscuits that are like "crack on a plate!" that's how one of my friends described it after i took him here for his going away brunch. not only do they have two types of gravy, sausage and mushroom, but their friend chicken was a top pick for bon apetit! and believe me, i got the chicken this time around!!


there are two pine state biscuit locations, this particular one is in southeast portland and i believe is the smaller of the two, seating is limited and is on a first come first serve basis. the walls are all decorated with different pieces of art, mostly comical to a certain extent, but the overall feel is of a mini-diner. we ordered our food at the counter and sat down in anticipation.


 while we waited we took a peek at the other things on the menu...


hehe "the wedgie"...


we also sipped on our sweet teas, i didn't get one of these the last time i was there, BIG MISTAKE. i tried some of jen's and i wanted one of my own!! the huge glass jars as glasses was a personal fave of mine! love the details!! FINALLY my name was called!!^_^


my pine state fried club: trio of fried grit cakes topped with(from left) country ham with white cheddar inside, fried chicken and spiced honey, and finally a fried green tomato with a pimento cheese sauce. no biscuits, i know but it just sounded to good to pass up!


this is my friends, he got the moneyball: biscuit and gravy topped with an egg over easy. drooooooool^_^


needless to say we were happy. my grit cakes mixed with the trio of different toppings just made my tummy happy!! the ham and cheddar were a perfect pairing, and the spicy honey really made the fried chicken even better!! the fried green tomato was...a lot to handle!! the spicy pimento sauce and the perfectly fried green tomato...i wish i had another!! i also got to try my friends biscuit, his biscuit was perfect and flaky, the gravy not to strong or over powering, perfectly seasoned and a great addition to the already amazing biscuit!! 


apparently pine state has a stand at the portland saturday market, the line is rumored to always be 50+, now i can easily see why!! pine state biscuits i love you!!

3 comments:

sixth floor apartment said...

seriously lisa. i need to fly up there and eat my way thru all the places you go to and then make you make me cakes and goodies!!!

lisa said...

haha oh erica, your comments always make me smile! you are more than welcome to come up whenever you want, bring cece too!! we can have a baking/food vacay!! OoOoO

Meagan said...

I was wondering if I could use one of your photos on 10best.com. Please let me know if that would be ok at mommytravels at aol.com