Monday, November 7, 2011

"Mise en place"


Hello all you beautiful people out there in blogger world!! Before I dive right into all the juicy details about my first day at culinary school, I wanted to take a moment to say thank you for reading this hodge podge of a blog I call my own. I don't say it too often, but appreciate all the support I receive from all of you who take the time out of your days to read what I have to say whether it be about food, life, or any other wacky idea that may come to mind. I really appreciate it!! Without all of you I don't think I would've taken the plunge to start culinary school at all, so thank you. 

Enough of the mushy stuff, and on to the deets from today's class. "Mise en place", the main French term we talked about today. In the culinary world it means "everything in it's place", but as we talked about it in my first foundations lecture today, it came to mean a lot more to me. Personally I have always struggled to find "my way" in the world, my niche or drive. Cooking always seemed like an unreachable option that was always just something I enjoyed doing when I got bored, or what I would "just do" when I didn't have anything else to do. However, over time it meant a lot more for me and my enjoyment for food and preparing food grew into a real passion. And while sitting in class Chef Luke asked us if any of us didn't WANT to be there to raise their hand, and no one did. We all have a genuine love and drive for food, we all want to expand on our skills we have acquired in our kitchens, at our jobs, or elsewhere. That's when I knew I found my own little "mise en place".


I'm going to be blogging a lot more about school and what I learned so keep an eye out for those posts!! These are a few of the tools and books we got in class today!! Can't wait till I get some time to puruse through these babies!!:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy you are finding your place in the world :)

sixth floor apartment said...

i'm SO excited for you lisa! i'm glad you're pursuing your passion and i can't wait for you to open up your bakery :)

lisa said...

Thanks guys:) I'm glad I finally found a direction for myself. Looking forward to a beautiful bakery where everyone can taste all the treats I will bake up!!:)