Saturday, October 8, 2011

OSCAR THE GROUCH adds another year^_~ AND Auntie Rina's Chocolate Eclair Dessert



Hello again!!^_^ Ok, took some time off from the blog...AGAIN!! But, trust me, I now have a heck of a lot more time to send some "sweet" love around the world. AND to make up for it ,I came back with not only a celebration, but also an easy peasy recipe for all of you out there in blogger world to try!! 

By the way, the picture above isn't to scare y'all out there, even though Halloween is right around the corner; it's my dad, Oscar. My family and I just celebrated his "umpteenth" birthday yesterday, I bought him a pretty blue candle to go with the birthday treat I made him, Auntie Rina's Chocolate Eclair Dessert!! I don't know about you, but when the weather starts to get cold (anything below 70, I grew up in HAWAII people, cut me some slack),  and the leaves start turn that beautiful blazing red around the edges I CRAVE comfort food, and this recipe was the perfect luscious and creamy dessert to feed my craving. I learned about this amazing dessert at my sister's wedding this past month. My Auntie Rina (also known for her mouth wateringly bombastic red velvet recipe) introduced me to it and made some for my sister's reception. She switched it up a bit from the original recipe and instead of using plain old chocolate frosting she opted for chocolate pudding because she said it had a "lighter" taste. AND let me just tell you, this recipe is the EASIEST dessert I have made in a while, NO BAKING NECESSARY!!!^_^ Yeah, I knew that would make your heads turn!!^_~  Ok, so let's get to it!!


Auntie Rina's Chocolate Eclair Dessert (Adapted from AllRecipes.com)

1 box graham crackers
2 (3 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups of cold milk
1 (8 ounce) container cool whip, thawed
1 (5 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
2 1/2 cups cold milk



Line the bottom of a 9x13 pan with graham crackers.


In a large bowl, with a whisk, mix the 3 cups of cold milk with the 2 packages vanilla instant pudding mix until the pudding mix dissolves.


Next, add the container of cool whip to the vanilla pudding mixture and mix till creamy. *This was the part I jumped the gun on, I forgot to let the cool whip thaw and I had to stir a little longer till all the frozen lumps came out...oopsies!!*


Spread half of the cool whip vanilla mixture over the first layer of graham crackers. Spread with a spatula or spoon to even out.


Follow with another layer of graham crackers and the other half of the vanilla mixture. Put one final layer of graham crackers and set aside. In another bowl use a whisk to mix the 2 1/2 cups cold milk with the package of chocolate instant pudding mix. *BE CAREFUL the pudding sets pretty quickly and if you don't want to have to "fuss with it" as my Auntie Rina says and make it "pretty on top" whisk until JUST dissolved* Then carefully pour the chocolate over the last layer of graham crackers, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.


IMPATIENT PEOPLE BEWARE!! I HIGHLY suggest letting this baby sit in your fridge OVER NIGHT!! I know, I know, it will be hard not to want to dig into this amazing luscious and creamy dessert before the next day, but TRUST!! It will be worth it!! The graham crackers absorb some of the moisture from the puddings and they get soft enough to cut a knife through them, and with the combo of the vanilla and chocolate, MMMMMMMM! I did a "happy penguin" wiggle when I ate this and I'm sure you will too!! And YES, I am eating some as I write this blog...*Penguin Wiggle*^_^ Happy eating!!


No comments: