Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fall Apple Crisp & Other News ^_^



As far back as I can remember my mom has always made this delicious apple dessert--for holidays, birthdays, and just because--and I have always remembered this slightly spiced, apple crumbly goodness. Since tonight was my "Make-up Birthday Dinner" and my dad was nice enough to cook me up some Chamorro dishes for our main course, I decided I would make this simple dessert, carrying on the tradition my mother had started from before I was born.


I haven't actually made this dessert in quite a while! So pulling out this old recipe book made me investigate a little more into where this recipe had actually come from. This was actually a recipe book my mother had bought from one of her co-workers, whose child had gone to Waiokeola Pre-School from 1983. The recipe itself was a contribution by Jann Rogers, so thank you Ms. Rogers for this delicious taste of my childhood.


Apple Crisp (Adapted from Gingerbread & Cranberries)

4 cups apples (peeled and sliced) *I used 2 Granny Smith and 2 Gala
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter (softened) 
3/4 cup flour (sifted) 
1/3 cup oatmeal 

8x8 in pan 


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread apples in pan, I like to layer them evenly after I have sliced them. It gives them a more even bake and everyone gets an equal amount in each serving. 


Mix the water, cinnamon, and salt. Evenly drizzle mixture over the prepared apples and set aside.


In a small bowl use a pastry cutter to combine the sugar, flour, and butter until crumbly. Add in the oatmeal and mix in with a spoon. The topping should pack together if squeezed in your hand. I like to squeeze handfuls of the mixture in my hand and break up as I top the apples. The bigger crumbles taste so good when they cook up and get a little crunchy^_^ Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, making sure the liquid at the bottom boils and the top is evenly golden brown when you remove it from the oven. 


MMMMMMMMMMM, so good!! This delicious dessert was the perfect ending to my "Make-up Birthday Dinner" and I can't wait to re-heat it and eat it tomorrow...luckily its just as mouth watering the next day^_~ 
Happy baking!!^_^
P.S.-I received my orientation notification for culinary school!! I'm starting this November!! AAAH can't wait!!^_^


2 comments:

sixth floor apartment said...

i should not read your blogs during a meal time...it always makes what i'm eating look so unappetizing. now i want apple crumble. lol.

lisa said...

@sixthfloorapartment Oh, just wait till I start school!!:)